Visual Studio ALM Rangers release both VS Lab Management and Build Customization Guidance (Doc’s, code, hands-on labs, videos and posters too)
“This morning, we published the RTM release of Rangers Build Customization Guide on Codeplex. Kudos to the team for one of our top strategic projects in FY11.
This Visual Studio ALM Ranger project has the primary goal of delivering scenario based and hands-on lab guidance for the customization and deployment of Team Foundation Build 2010 activities such as versioning, code signing, and branching.
What is in the downloads?
- Guidance contains scenario based practical guidance, frequently asked questions and quick reference posters
- Selected PDF contains guidance and quick reference posters in PDF format only.
- Complete contains guidance, quick reference posters and localization files in all available formats.
- Hands-on Labs (HOL) includes:
- HOL documents that provide walkthroughs of the technology, based on the guidance
- HOL Package contains a HOL environment setup package allowing you to setup the HOL environment in your own environment
- BRDLite Build Process Reference Template walk-through.
- Samples contains sample build process templates used by the team as part of the guidance.
- Videos which showcase the guidance in quick 5-10min videos.
The Epics included in the guidance are:
- Practical guidance and tooling to simplify the customization of Team Foundation Build
- Practical guidance to use Team Foundation Build process templates to automate build and non-build scenarios in Microsoft environments
- Practical guidance to enable simple and flexible deployment of applications and their data stores
- Practical guidance for Activities to empower developers and build engineers
- Quality hands-on labs that complement the guidance and effectively guide the user through the features
- Visualization of the guidance using quick reference posters
“It is finally there! This morning, we published the RTM release of Rangers Lab Management Guide on Codeplex. Kudos to the team for our largest FY11 project and one of our top strategic investments for this year.
This Visual Studio ALM Ranger project has the primary goal of delivering scenario based and hands-on guidance for the planning, setup, configuration and usage of Visual Studio Lab Management, backed by custom VM Template automation for reference environments.
The Visual Studio 2010 and Team Foundation Server 2010 VM Factory project is a companion solution, which is focused on the Virtual Machine (VM) Factory, used by and referred to by this guidance.
The following Epics summarize the scope of the guidance which is designed for professional deployment of Lab Management in production environments.
- Visualisation of the guidance using quick reference posters
- Advanced golden image management using the VM Factory for Lab Management
- Provide guidance on setting up Test environments with respect to pre-defined personas
- Provide Guidance to enable large and small teams to setup and configure both automated and manual tests
- Provide practical guidance for managing and maintaining a Lab Management environment
- Provide practical guidance to enable teams to quickly setup and configure their lab management environment
You’ve all probably already seen this news, but since my blog is as much a personal full text searchable remote memory store as it’s a blog, I want to capture the details (i.e. so in six months I’ll be able to find it again… :)