Thursday, March 14, 2013

And so dies my desktop feedreader of choice too, Google Reader's shutdown also kills FeedDemon

Nick Bradbury - The End of FeedDemon

"This is a hard post for me to write.

I've used FeedDemon every day since I created it back in 2003 - it's part of my daily workflow, the first thing I turn to after pouring myself a cup of coffee in the morning.

I've thoroughly enjoyed working on it and I'm grateful for all of the people who paid for it over the years despite free alternatives.

But it's time for FeedDemon to die.

If you're an avid FeedDemon user, you probably know that I've struggled to keep it updated. FeedDemon stopped "paying the bills" a while ago, so I took a full-time job elsewhere and haven't been able to give FeedDemon the attention it deserves.

Then today came the news that Google Reader is shutting down on July 1. FeedDemon relies on Google Reader for synchronization, and there's no decent alternative (and even if there were, it's doubtful I'd have time to integrate with it, at least not without trading time away from my family - which I won't do).

That was the nail in the coffin for me. I hate to say goodbye to FeedDemon after a decade of working on it, but it's time to say goodbye. When Google Reader shuts down on July 1, FeedDemon will also disappear.

..."

Nick's call, I can understand. I've been a paying FeedDemon user for nearly a decade and he's done allot to try to keep FeedDemon relevant. I've moved with it/him from BlogLines to NewsGator to Google Reader. But it looks like it's time to move on to some other client.

Thanks for the past times Nick, and good luck.

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Google Reader Bytes the Dust - Google Reader is being turned out to pasture on July 1, 2013

No comments: