Wednesday, October 24, 2012

LOTR Project - All Lord of the Rings, all data, all awesome...

LOTR Project

image

image

LOTR Project - About

About the project
The Lord of the Rings Project is a project and initiative started by Emil Johansson. It is an attempt to place every character in J.R.R Tolkien’s fictional universe in a family tree. With time, the project will expand to include other things.

Acknowledgements
Shaun Gunner, Trustee and Publicity Officer of The Tolkien Society, Deputy Chair of The Return of the Ring, and administrator of Tolkien Gateway, has decided to lend the project his expertise. Shaun is currently both a collaborator and adviser on the development of the project.

About Emil Johansson
I am very glad you have found this site and hope you enjoy the project. My name is Emil Johansson and I am a part-time professional photographer and a student in Chemical Engineering at Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden. I first read the Lord of the Rings trilogy when I was 11 years old and was caught by the magic immediately. It may have been a sort of escape from reality I don’t know. It is after all not that uncommon at that age. Since then I have read to my knowledge every book there is to read about Middle-Earth. During the height of my fandom I decided too try and make a complete family tree of all the creatures in Tolkien’s world. I can’t remember how long it took making it.

Now, six years later I have finally gathered the knowledge to do what I have always wanted to do: put the family tree on the web. In November last year I started on the quest and I have to admit, it has taken me longer than I expected. As of this moment, 646 characters have been included.

LOTR Project - Map

image

What with movie one of Hobbit Trilogy  coming soon, I expect a resurgence of interest in LOTR. And if not, I still this project is cool... :)

(via How-To Geek - The Lord of the Rings Project Charts Middle Earth by the Numbers <- Flowing Data)

No comments: