Saturday, July 14, 2007

Blogger Backup 1.0.4.10 Released with new Custom Path Builder feature

I've added what I think is a pretty cool and useful new Custom Path Builder feature to v1.0.4.10 of my Blogger Backup utility.

This feature gives the user full control over their resulting folder tree and post names. Now you can create the folder structure and post file names that best suit you.

It will default to [Backup Folder]\Blog Title\PublishedDate(ISO8601 YYYYMMDDTHHMMSS formatted)-PostTitle.XML (pretty much the way it was before).

But now YOU can tweak that path to best fit your style and needs.

Want to store each year's posts in a different subfolder?
Want to store each month's posts in a different subfolder?
Want to reverse that and store it my month/year?

Done, done, done.

Want to change the post file name? Say only using the post title?
Or Year-Month-PostTitle?
Or only use the ISO8601 date (YYYYMMDDTHHMMSS - 20070707T081012)?
Want to use custom static text value?

Done, done, done, done.

Want to use Updated dates instead of Published dates?

Done.

Want to play around and see how the different options will effect the final names?

Done.

Again, the new path build is meant to allow you the all the flexibility you may need or want.

 

This is the first time I've built something like this, so please bear with me as I may tweak it in future versions...

 

Screenshots

The new Custom Path Builder dialog

A number of folder name options to choose from...

Lots of file name options to choose from...

The Examples at the bottom of the dialog are "live", meaning as you change the different options, the examples update automatically. This should give you a good feel for how the options and their order will look.

Windows Explorer view of the results...

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Blogger Backup 1.0.3.8 Released (Another bug fix version)
Blogger Backup v1.0.2.7 Released (Bug Fixes)
Blogger Backup 1.0.1.6 Released (and status change from Alpha to Beta)
Blogger Backup 1.0.0.5 Alpha Released
Blogger Backup v1.0.0.2 Alpha Release
Blogger Backup v1.0.0.1 Alpha Release
Blogger Backup Utility v1.0.0.0 Alpha Released
Blogger Backup using the C# GData Client Library...

5 comments:

Robinhood Java said...

Hi,

It seems to me that I am using Blogger Backup Utility 1.0.7.16 without any success with my blogs which are feed redirected using Feedburner. Is there any fix regarding this?

Kind regards,
TTC

Greg said...

Yep, there sure is....

Get 1.0.9.x (the latest release... released last month).

One thing I don't mention in the release notes is that for people with Feedburner issues, that they should create a new BBSettings file (i.e. don't load an older BBSettings file). Install and launch the new version, re-add your blogs and you should be good to go...

Robinhood Java said...

Yes, I got 1.0.9.22 last night. It seems to works fine except that it is only able to backup about 150 posts, then the next chunk will be retried 10 tens and fail with my two blogs. Then I retried with another blog limiting to only Latest 100, but after 50 posts, it shew an arror "Error getting next chunk, retrying (1..)

Greg said...

If you give me your blog URL's I'll take a look...

I've been able (and others as well) able to back up my 2400+ post blog so it's not just a count thing but something else...

Anyway, if you give me your Blog URL's I'll take a look.

Thanks

Robinhood Java said...

Now I am re-backing up to see if this would work after restart.

Edit: It seems to work fine now 175 posts and going on!!! Yesterday, my connection might have gone bad that why.

Thanks for your life-saving application.

Edit again as I am typing: Look at this: http://i17.tinypic.com/6obm5nt.jpg
It getting error again.