Monday, June 25, 2007

Blogger Backup Featured on UpToDown.com

I just got an email that my Blogger Backup utility has been listed on UptoDown.com, http://blogger-backup.uptodown.com/ (mostly Spanish language site, though with English listings too).

A few other people have also been talking/blogging about it too (Technorati) (Wow, there's more than I realized... How cool is that?)

For a little utility that I threw together "just because," I think that's kind of cool.

Anyway, as I was working on it this weekend (working on the new user /macro driven path/post naming feature) I was thinking about ripping out all the embedded text and sticking them into language resources. I've never built an international/multi-language UI application (well I have a suite I developed running in Canada, but... well... you know... they are connected... and all... um... yeah...) so I think that would be pretty cool to do.

Added to the list.

2 comments:

Deepa said...

Hi..
Could you please give some quidelnes regarding how to resore the blogger using the files saved wiht"blogger backup utility"

Greg said...

Good question. And I hate to say it, but I have no idea. I’ve been so focused on backing up the data, I’ve not thought too much about restoring it.

I wrote the utility because I was worried about the 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade and also just to provide a safety net in case “something” happened to my blog.

Luckily (for me at least) the 3.0 upgrade was smooth and I’ve never had to restore a blog or post. I’ve figured that if something DID happen, I’d have the xml at least and would figure out what to do then…

The utility currently saves the raw ATOM xml from the GData component. I’m thinking that it shouldn’t be too hard to write a program (or add feature to the Blogger Backup utility) to feed that posts xml back into the GData and create a new post based on that. There are Google/Blogger limits to avoid spam/splogs (I believe its 50 posts a day), but still I think we can make it so some posts can be restored at least…

I wish I could have provided a more direct answer, but I WILL be thinking about this…

Thanks for your comments and for the challenge, ;)
Greg