Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Blogger Backup Utility v1.0.0.0 Alpha Released

I've just uploaded the source and the Setup for the first alpha release of the Blogger Backup utility to the CodePlex project.

It's FUBLY, but it seems to work (on my machine, against my blog, etc), there's little to no error checking, your mileage may vary, use at your own risk, etc, etc, yada, yada...

It makes no changes to your blog, only writes XML files to a path you select,  makes no changes to your system, so it SHOULD be pretty safe to use (but your mileage may vary, use at your own risk...  ;)

Here are some screenshots of the utility in action (see I told you it was FUBLY  ;)

      

To Do:

Add BlogML support
Test with Blogger 3.0/beta
Add More/Better/Some error handling
Make it prettier
Allow the user to select specific posts for backup
Implement incremental backup (i.e. "Backup the newest stuff, the stuff added since the last backup...")

Maybe New features like Archive Title Page HTML generation, with optional grouping/sorting by date, etc.

Think "archive page, but just with Titles (as links to posts), sorted and grouped by week, or month, or year, etc".

Think about an annual post with the titles from that year. Or a summary, sorting the titles alphabetically. Or my post size. Or stuff like that...

Now that I can get all the posts from my blog, just think of the stuff you can DO with all that data!  Muhahahaha...

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Blogger Backup using the C# GData Client Library...

Update #1 11/21/2006 @ 10:00 PM (PST):

I just signed up for a Blogger 3 (beta) blog and this backup utility DOESN'T work for Blogger 3(i.e. beta.blogger.com).

There seems to be a problem in during the post download/save phase... I'll look at it tomorrow...

No comments: